Hmart meets chef Sohui Kim at "Insa", Check out her tips for Korean dining and easy Japchae recipe! Full recipe is below!
Japchae : Stir fried Sweet Potato Noodles
Ingredients (Serves 4-6)FOR NOODLES : 6 oz Dangmyun, dried and can be found in most Asian markets, 1 TB sesame oil, 2 tsp soy sauce, 1 tsp sugar
FOR THE STIR FRY :
½ onion, sliced thinly
1 medium carrot, julienned
1 TB ginger, grated
1 bunch napa cabbage, washed and chopped
1 small red, yellow or orange bell pepper, sliced into thinly to julienne
1 TB grated garlic, 2-3 cloves of garlic
2 scallions, white and green parts, sliced thin on a bias
2 garlic chives, sliced thin
1 cayenne pepper, sliced very thinly
1 TB soy sauce
1 TB sugar
1 tsp black pepper, freshly ground
2 tsp sesame oil
1 TB sesame seeds
3 egg yolks, beaten
1. Cook the noodles in boiling water until done, about 5-7minutes (refer to the package as cooking times vary slightly). Drain and rinse in cold water. Toss with sesame oil, soy sauce and sugar. Set aside in a large bowl.
2. Heat up grapeseed oil in a saute pan and saute the onions for a few minutes until soft. Season with a pinch of salt and toss in bowl with noodles.
3. Heat more oil in saute pan and saute carrot, cabbage, peppers, scallions, chives and ginger on med-high heat for several minutes, until all veggies are soft and cooked through.
4. Reduce heat and add noodles to pan. Toss the whole batch with more soy sauce, sugar, grated garlic, black pepper, sesame oil and sesame seeds. Add more seasoning if necessary.
5. Beat 3 egg yolks and pan fry (in a new pan) to make a thin crepe. Place on cutting board and slice into thin julienne strips. Garnish with egg ribbons, extra sesame seeds, and sliced scallions.