H Mart meets Chef Sungchul Shim from Neta! He explains the Japanese Omakase
plus he gives us his fancy teppanyaki recipe. You can't miss it.
"Omakase's literal meaning is to believe in chefs; I trust in your decision,
so I leave you to decide what is best on my table.”
Bulgogi Teppanyaki / 불고기 철판 구이
2 cups Cooked Rice
2 tbsp Garlic, minced
1 tbsp Ginger, minced
1 tbsp Sesame Oil
1 lb Sliced Beef
1 qt Beef Fat
5 dried Shiitake Mushroom
1 qt Kombu Dashi
½ cup Ginger, sliced
1 cup Soy Sauce
2 cup Daikon, grated
1 cup Mirin
1 cup Sake
½ cup Sugar
Black Vinegar Sauce (흑초생강소스):
200 g Soy Sauce
100 g Sake
100 g Sugar
100 g Black Vinegar
50 g Ginger, minced
30 g Yuzu Juice
30 g Arrow Root Slurry (mix 15 g Arrow Root Powder with 15 g of Water)
Garnish: Pickled Onion, Scallion, Sesame Seeds, Sesame Oil
1. First, we need to make marinade sauce. Rendering beef fat on medium high heat.
Soak dried shiitake mushroom for 30 min then strain.
Add kombu dashi, soy sauce, mirin, sake, sugar, shiitake, ginger
and daikon into the pot. Bring up to boil and simmer
45 minutes on medium high heat. Strain it and let it cool down.
2. Slice beef thinly and season with sesame oil, minced garlic and
minced ginger to taste.
3. Soak the beef with marinade sauce for overnight.
4. Shape cooked rice into a rectangular shape and sear it over
high heat to make the bottom crispy. Sauté the marinated beef for 5 minutes.
5. Let's make Black Vinegar Sauce! Mix all the sauce ingredients and
cook for 5 minutes then strain. Add slurry little by little, cool down.
Drizzle with the sauce to beef and rice.
6. Garnish with pickled onion, scallion, sesame seeds and sesame oil!
(Pickled Onion is optional, you can use any pickle for substitute.)