Use your soda to make an authentic Korean Jjimdak! Korean braised chicken (Jjimdak) is one of the most popular dishes in Korea, and this recipe with coke is another popular way to make Jjimdak simple and easy. It has a savory, sweet and rich flavor. Let’s begin!
Ingredients (serving size: 4)2lb Chicken (any part you want)
2-3 Bay leaves
5-10 Pepper cons
1/4cup Scallion, chopped
1-2ea red & green pepper, chopped
2cups Korean vermicelli
Sauce : coke can, 6tbsp soy sauce, 3tbspcorn syrup, 1tbsp minced garlic, 1tbsp minced ginger, 1tbsp sugar
Garnish : Sesame seeds, red & green pepper
1. Bring 3-4cups water to boil over high heat, add cleaned chicken, bay leaves and pepper corns. Boil for 5minutes. Meanwhile, chop onion, carrot and potato in cubes, soak vermicelli in cold water.
2. Drain water from the pot, add coke and all sauce ingredients. (If you don't have all the ingredients, you can add just soy sauce and sugar) Let it boil over medium high heat for about 5 minutes, covered.
3. Add onion, carrot and potatoes, continue to boil for another 10minutes.
4. When the sauce is reduced 1/3 and potato gets soft, add scallion, pepper and vermicelli. Save some pepper for garnish.
5. Boil 5minutes more. Garnish with sesame seed and pepper. What an authentic Korean flavor with such a simple steps!